One addict helping another is an essential part of the N.A. program. It is therefore highly recommended that members of Narcotics Anonymous find a sponsor. A sponsor is a member of N.A. who helps another member of the fellowship by sharing their experience, strength and hope in recovery and serves as guide through the Twelve Steps. A substantial number of N.A. members suggest getting a sponsor of the same sex (or of opposite sexual preference) with over one year clean time, with a working knowledge of the 12 Steps, as they are How It Works....although there are no such real rules. Any N.A. member is free to choose any other member as a sponsor, as long as both parties are in agreement. A sponsor is a guide to help you understand and work our program, including and especially the 12 Steps of Recovery.
Here are some qualities and expectations:
12 Qualities of Sponsorship
3. I will help you become more autonomous, more loving of
4. I can not give you dreams or "fix you up" simply because I
5. I can not give you growth, or grow for you. You must grow for yourself by facing reality, grim as it may be at times.
6. I can not take away your loneliness or your pain.
7. I can not sense your world for you, evaluate your goals for you or
8. I can not convince you of the necessity to make the vital
9. I want to be with you and know you as a rich and growing friend; yet I can not get close to you when you choose not
10. When I begin to care for you out of pity or when I begin to
11. You must know and understand my help is conditional. I
12. If you can accept this, then perhaps we can help each other